There are a lot of ways to get back in shape after you have a baby, and there are also many products you can purchase to help you. However, it can be confusing when you’re trying to figure out what type is right for you, especially since some binders and post pregnancy girdles only help with a few problems you may be experiencing. There are other types of binders that are simpler and easier to use though. One type of binding that can help you out with all of these things is Bengkung Belly Binding.
What is it?
Bengkung is a style of wrapping your abdomen after you deliver a child, so that everything can go back to normal as soon as possible. It has many benefits and it doesn’t take special equipment. All you need to do it is a long piece of cloth, which is made of a natural material, so it will be able to breathe and easy to clean. Postpartum belly binding has been used for many years in Malaysia and has now become popular in many other parts of the world, due to the fact that it provides results and is unique.
What does it do?
In addition to just binding your middle to help you have more protection while you’re recovering, this type of band aids you in other ways. Most of these ways are physical, but it can also help you psychologically.
- Helps uterus and organs return to normal size: During a pregnancy, all of your organs change a bit, from getting bigger, in the case of your uterus and belly, to the other organs in the area, which may be swollen, or getting back to normal after being squished together in a smaller space for nearly a year. This method helps with the swelling and lets everything find its proper spot.
- Can prevent or lessen bleeding: If you had a cesarean section, you will have an incision site that needs to get better. This binder can lessen the bleeding and keep this area from staying bloated too.
- Can improve posture: Since this wrap is secured fresh each day, it will fit properly each time. This means you will be able to sit up and prevent slouching, which will give you more energy and take the strain off your neck, back, and pelvis.
- May alleviate diastasis recti: This condition is when the left abdominal muscles and the right abdominal muscles separate from each other. This process can be painful and hard to correct in most cases, but this method can really help or reverse this problem many women face.
- Helps you lose weight: It does this in two different ways. For one, since it is keeping swelling down and likely making you sweat a bit throughout the day, you are losing water weight. On the flip side, it is secured tight around your middle, meaning you will not be able to eat too much and take in too many calories. You will likely only be able to eat a normal amount of food, so this will also ensure that you’re losing the pounds you gained previously.
- Assists confidence: When a mom feels like all her parts are secure, she can feel good about it. She doesn’t have to worry about not being protected or bleeding, and she will know that she will be back to normal as soon as possible. This allows for more confidence quickly, which is just what a new mom needs.
How is it different than other binders?
One of the things that sets this product apart from many other items out there is the fact that the cloth is tied around the middle each day, meaning it will fit right each day. You don’t have to worry about anything moving around, bunching up, or becoming too loose in important areas. This is great for even plus sized women, since you won’t have to worry about getting a special size.
Another thing is that this band is much longer than others. It is designed to go from right under the breasts all the way down the belly. In essence, this means it protects the entire core. This is a lot more protection than most maternity items, and can help you get better faster.
The cloths are always made from a natural material that can be washed in the regular washing machine, and you can purchase as many as you want online or through a health care professional.
Some people count on their doulas to tie it the first time and teach them how to do it. If you don’t have one, you can watch videos on how to tie it, so you can start seeing results.
When should I use it?
A cool thing is that this product is designed to be used following any type of birth. If you had a natural birth, you can get wrapped up within a few days, and can wear it for around a month. If you had to get a c-section, you may not be able to wear it until a few weeks later, depending on how fast you heal. After that time, it can be worn for up to 40 days or so.
Some of these binding kits also come with a band to put on underneath the larger cloth, so that you are able to put oil or cream on your belly while you’re wearing it. The idea is to keep the outside band from becoming soiled or stained. You don’t have to use it this way however.
Additionally, many women that wear it notice results after they have used it, where their bellies are firmer and feel better than when they didn’t use one. You can wear it outside your clothes or inside, and they can be worn all day. It won’t limit you from doing anything, and most of them look really great too. There are numerous patterns and colors that can be purchased, or you can design your own.