If you have a toddler with curly hair, you know how hard it can be to find them the proper shampoo to use. Some types leave the hair too greasy, while others leave it too dry. It is hard to find something that keeps their curls looking great, and keeps the tangles at bay too. The good news is that there are products out there that can help. Keep reading to find out more about taking care of hair, as well as the best shampoos for curly haired toddlers.
Taking Care of Curly Hair
You were likely taught that you are supposed to shampoo your hair then condition it, each time you wash your hair. Additionally, many people believe that you have to wash your hair every day. These habits do not work the best for everyone, especially those with curly hair.
Here are a few tips to help keep hair looking great.
- Use a gentle shampoo. Choose the gentlest shampoo you can find and afford. It does not have to be a top of the line brand, but it should have a limited amount of harsh chemicals. Go for something natural. There are also recipes you can find online to make your own shampoo, if you want to see if it works better.
- Don’t wash forcefully. It is best if you don’t wash hair with too much force. You have to be gentle when you are massaging the shampoo into the scalp and when you are washing it out.
- Always use conditioner. Curly hair needs to be conditioned a lot. You need to use conditioner each time you wash hair, and some people use a leave in conditioner as well. You may need to experiment to figure out how to make it work best for your kid.
- Don’t wash hair every day. There is no need to wash hair every day unless there is a reason to. In other words, if your baby gets dirty in the backyard or swimming pool every day, you will need to wash their hair every day. Otherwise, you can cut this down to every 2 or 3 days. This will allow their hair oils to build back up and keep them from getting a dry scalp.
- Oil scalp often. Another thing you can do to keep a scalp from drying out is to oil it quite frequently. A good type of oil to use is coconut, which is also beneficial because it is antibacterial. You can opt to use olive oil or another type of gentle oil you have available.
- Only comb wet hair. It is not a good idea to brush hair when it is dry. It works better if you comb wet hair for a couple of reasons. One is so that there will be less hair breakage. The other is that it will be easier to get the tangles out.
- Never use a hair dryer. You must let the hair air dry. Again, curly hair is more prone to breakage, so you want to do everything you can to keep it from drying out and becoming damaged. This may take longer, but it also doubles in function to allow you the time to comb the hair before it dries.
If you are looking for a shampoo that is made as naturally as possible, this is one to keep near the top of your list. It is considered to be toxin-free because it is made without some of the harmful ingredients that other items are, including sulfates, dyes, and BPA. The product is also cruelty free, which means it isn’t tested on animals, and even has a stamp of approval from PETA to prove this.
It has a natural scent, since there are no synthetic fragrances, and it comes in a bottle with a pump. This makes it easy for you to use, or for children to use by themselves. One thing that some people don’t like about the product is that they need a separate conditioner, to keep from having a dry scalp. For others, this is enough conditioning. You will have to try it on your own toddler to see if it has an adequate amount of conditioning power.
- Contains no toxins
- Has easy to use pump
- Cruelty free
- Natural fragrance
- May need extra conditioning
The bottle of this product is fun and colorful, although it can become slippery if it falls in the bathtub. However, this is where the negatives end. The shampoo has been tested by eye doctors, to make sure that it is tear free. You don’t have to see your kiddo crying because they got it in their eyes, which can make you feel better.
Other reasons to try this formula are the fact that it is gentle enough to use on most kids without causing any reactions and that it washes out well. There won’t be a lot of residue left behind that takes forever to get out. It cleans up easily and has a kid-friendly scent.
- Washes out well
- Tear free formula
- Gentle on hair and skin
- Bottle can become slippery
This product has been around for many years and is still a popular item. This is because it hasn’t changed much in all that time and still works well for what it is designed to do. It is soap free and hypoallergenic. This means it will not cause rashes or skin problems. Baby’s skin can be very sensitive, and you don’t want them to be unable to wash their hair or take a bath.
Some people say that the product used to be thicker, but this doesn’t change its effectiveness. You can use it for other things too, such as to wash your body, to complete household chores, or even to keep your dog clean.
- Doesn’t contain soap
- Is hypoallergenic
- Good for other purposes too
- Thinner formula than others
Some baby shampoos work on toddlers as well. This is one of them. It uses chickpea and hibiscus extracts to help keep hair healthy. There are also other extracts to ensure that the scalp is being washed in a gentle way.
It is very affordable, and it lathers well. Some people have a hard time getting baby shampoo to lather up well and work like the traditional products that they are used to, which this doesn’t suffer from.
It is also good for those that have itchy scalps. If your youngster has a problem with other shampoos giving them itchiness, you may have good luck with Himalaya. Keep in mind that it might not be tear free for everyone though, so try to keep it out of little eyeballs.
- Lathers well
- Made with chickpea and hibiscus
- Good for itchy scalps
- Not tear free
Yes to Carrots is 95% natural, so it doesn’t have room for chemicals that are hard to pronounce in its recipe. For example, it is free from parabens, petroleum products, and phthalates. What it does have are fruit extracts to keep the hair in good shape and shiny. It is unlikely to irritate your scalp, as it has been tested to make sure it doesn’t cause allergies.
It doubles as a body wash, so you can clean all over the body with it. Some users report dry skin when they use it as a wash, but not as a shampoo.
- Won’t irritate scalp
- Contains no parabens or petroleum
- Has fruit extracts
- Will leave some skin dry
This is a powerful shampoo that is great to use on all types of curls, and even wavy hair. It has a light scent and contains special nourishing oils, to keep hair from drying out. Vitamin E and jojoba are some of the moisturizers that are used. These also help keep frizzy hair at bay and may allow you to keep from washing hair as often. On the other hand, these added substances may be too greasy for some and make hair seem dirty or oily.
The product is made without dairy and nut oils, and is soy and gluten free. You will not have to worry about this product if you have a little one that is allergic or sensitive to any of these items.
- Contains nourishing oils
- Formula is biodegradable
- Helps with frizzy hair
- May be too greasy