When it comes to choosing the right breastfeeding chair for your nursery, it is well worth it to take some time to find the right one for your household. It will be used for a number of important jobs, so it’s something that will get a lot of use. Here is a look at the different types to choose from, and an explanation of what they are generally used for. There are also reviews on some of the top rated chairs for you to get informed about, which can help you determine if you want one in your home.
Having a chair in your nursery is not only a good idea, but can solve more than one problem for mom and dad.
- Provides a place for feeding. This is the most important job for this type of product, and is what you should be concerned with when you are picking one out. It should be a place where you can feel secure breastfeeding your child or giving them a bottle. You can simply pick them up out of their crib and feed them, without having to do much else.
- A good place to relax. Another thing to realize about a nursery chair is that you may be napping in it from time to time. Chances are when you have late night feedings, sometimes you will fall asleep. Be sure that you get a model that is comfortable for you in all the right places, so you won’t wake up with any pains or kinks. Take some time before the baby is born to break it in.
- Use it to lull baby to sleep. After the feedings are over, you’ll want a good seat for you to be able to get the little one back into dreamland. This generally means you’ll want a rocker or glider, so there will be gentle motion to make their eyelids droopy and make your job a little easier.
- Great place to hang out and visit. Alternatively, this chair is a great place for people to visit with the baby and take care of them. For example, if grandma or an aunt comes over and wants to hold the infant, they can do it in a safe environment in the newborn’s own room.
What to Look For
Now that you know what jobs the chair will be doing in your home, you should also know what to look for in a chair.
Style. In many cases, it is vital that all furniture that will be going in the baby’s room should match or have a common theme. Luckily, there are so many styles, patterns, and colors to choose from that you can find something that will work just fine. It does not matter if you are going for a male, female, or even a gender-neutral room, since there’s something for everyone.
Comfort. Comfort is probably the most imperative feature because you will likely end up in the chair for many hours at a time, especially in the first few months after becoming a mom or having another child. There are so many reasons why you and the little one may need to curl up in a chair, or you might even choose to use it to relax before you deliver too. It’s important that you are able to get up and sit down in it properly. What’s even better is if you can put your feet up and relax. This will take the pressure off your back and other parts that may well be in pain and need to be elevated.
Features. From product to product, the features can change drastically. It’s up to you to determine what features are mandatory for your needs. Some people may want something that glides and reclines, while others may require something that has pockets or storage. Make a list of what you think you can’t live without, and see what you can find that checks all the boxes.
Amount of Care. You don’t want to have to work hard when it comes to taking care of your new purchase. Chances are there will be accidents or spills on it, so you should be sure to find something that is easy to keep clean. Some options can be spot cleaned, and others resist stains, which makes maintenance easy. You also don’t want to have to worry about it giving out on you or breaking, so be careful with it, but continue to check it for cracks or problems quite often, such as loose screws. In some cases, replacement parts can be ordered from the maker, and other times, you may just have to perform a simple fix.
There are a few types of chairs to choose from to go in your nursery too.
- Gliders. This is the most popular type of chair that is purchased nowadays to put in a child’s nursery. This is because gliding is a little motion that is able to ensure that you have control over how you are moving. Furthermore, there are so many styles of this type, that you can find something that really fits your taste and décor. The gliders sometimes come with an ottoman or footstool, so you will be able to put your feet up and relax. They generally have more padding than rockers too.
- Rockers. Rockers are still around but are not always seen in modern households. Chances are your mother rocked you in a rocker or rocking chair, and you can do this for your offspring if you choose to. There are still rockers for sale and they come in a wide variety of shapes and styles.
This set comes in a variety of different styles, over a dozen in all, so there is sure to be something that you like and matches well with your baby’s room. The whole thing is easy to clean, since you can remove the cushions to spot clean them. There are also pockets on the sides so you have room for all the essentials. Moreover, it is easy to put together and assembly takes less than 1 hour. The only downside is that you must be careful with the ottoman because some customers found that it was cracked when it arrived. This isn’t commonplace however, but you should check the whole unit when it arrives at your house to make sure that there is no damage before utilizing it.
- Easy to clean
- Has pockets
- Easy to put together
- Must be careful with ottoman
The Baby Relax chair looks just like a regular recliner that you would normally put in your living room or den. The difference is that it is specially designed for a nursery, is easy to get in and out of, and it will not take up a lot of space. The model is perfect for an apartment or a small room. Instead of coming with a separate footrest, it is a recliner. It is able to swivel, glide, and recline, but not all at the same time. As for the reclining, it can do two positions. The design is very elegant looking, since it has simple details on the trim. If you are on the shorter side, you may have trouble reclining in it, as well as getting out of it, but for most people, it’s easy to use and operate.
- Reclines in 2 positions
- Elegant look
- Doesn’t take up much space
- May be hard to recline
This set is very cute and has a comfortable look to it. While it is quite affordable, even for stringent budgets, you are not able to tell and it has a design that makes it look more expensive than it is. The back and bottom offer enough padding for most women and there’s no reason to worry if you gained a little extra baby weight. The weight limit for this one is higher than most at 250 pounds. At the same time, the cushion that supports the back is secured by tying knots on the back of the chair. For this reason, the back may slide around from time to time and have to be adjusted regularly.
- Adequate padding
- Great for all budgets
- Has 250 lb weight limit
- Has to be adjusted sometimes
The DaVinci chair is perfect for those that want a chair to do many different things. First off, it has extra lumbar support, which will be much needed during a pregnancy. It also offers a little bit more support for aching backs and can even help you get out of the chair when you have to get up. It also has no flame retardants, meaning you won’t need to be concerned that harmful chemicals are leaching into you or your baby’s skin when you use it. The chair itself can glide and swivel, although the ottoman does not. On the other hand, the ottoman is very easy to move, since it is lightweight. Overall, it’s very plain in appearance, so you may want to dress it up a bit with a throw pillow or something like that to jazz it up.
- Has lumbar support
- No flame retardants
- Chair can swivel and glide
- Ottoman is lightweight
- Ottoman doesn’t glide
- Very plain appearance
If you are looking for something that comes fully assembled or is painless to put together, this option fits the bill. It only takes a few minutes to put together and it is nice to sit in once you do. The back cushion is very plush, which makes up for the bottom cushion being a little stiffer. This can be fixed by adding more cushions if you need them, however, so it isn’t a big deal. There are also large pockets on this one, so you can store extra diapers, books, or anything else you may need.
- Plush back cushion
- Lots of pocket space
- Take minutes to put together
- Bottom cushion is stiff
The Babyletto Madison is something that can be used for more than just a chair in your nursery. Once your child gets older, you can simply move it to another room, since it looks like a regular club chair. What makes it even cooler is that it is resistant to stains and water, and comes with a 1-year warranty. In other words, it should hold up well and look great for quite a while. Another great aspect is that it is good for taller people to sit in, including mothers and fathers. It does not come with an ottoman, which may be a deal breaker for some. You will have to purchase one separately if you want to be able to put your feet up when using this chair.
- Water and stain resistant
- Has 1 year warranty
- Can hold up to 300 pounds
- Good for taller people
- Doesn’t come with ottoman
The padded arms on this product are something that may make you want to look at it a little closer. It also has a high back and is a bit wider than other models from this manufacturer. The height helps it work well for people of different heights. The ottoman and chair glide, and the ottoman has enclosed bearings, in order for it to work that much better. They aren’t exposed, meaning it will be hard for them to become damaged or fail. The chair isn’t perfect though. If you are petite, you may be uncomfortable using it.
- Has padded arms
- Wider than other models
- Bearings are enclosed
- Not comfortable for everyone