Why do your feet swell?
Before you can ascertain how to solve your swollen feet problems, you have to understand why they are swollen in the first place. The answer is that many parts of your body swell up during pregnancy because of the extra fluid and weight that you gain.
After you give birth, this fluid will move out of your body, unless there are underlying problems. The general rule is to keep an eye on all your swelling, and if you don’t notice a difference within a week, you should consult your doctor. However, it may take a month for your feet to get back to normal, so hang in there and be patient.
Ways to get rid of swollen feet
Here are some of the ways that you can get rid of swollen feet. These tips will also work with other body parts too, so you can try them on more than just your feet.
- Get some exercise. As a new mom, it can be very hard to take the time to exercise, but it is good for your body if you do. We aren’t talking running a marathon; you can simply walk to your mailbox and back each day. You don’t want to overexert yourself or cause yourself any more pain, so keep it simple. Just make sure you’re moving around a bit.
- Get a massage. Getting a massage is a great way to get rid of fluid. You may be able to get your partner to massage your feet, or pay someone else to do it. This is also something that will relax you, which is always a good thing.
- Eat right. To control the swelling, it is imperative that you eat right. Go ahead and make all your meals or let someone else do it, but try your best to stay away from fast food. You need to be getting your vitamins and minerals, so your body will be able to heal properly.
- Elevate your feet. It helps a lot if you can elevate your feet after a long day or whenever they are hurting you. This should be done for less than an hour each day for best results, so it won’t take a lot of time out of your schedule.
- Get hydrated. Drink all the water you can, so you’ll be able to flush out the fluids and hormones that your body is trying to get rid of. You can also drink tea, as long as it doesn’t have caffeine in it.
- Relax. Relaxing is a very hard thing for a woman to do in general, but when she has a newborn, it can be even more difficult. This is non-negotiable however. You need to take a little time for yourself each day to do something just for you. Perhaps you can just take a nap in a chair, or you can grab a relaxing bath. Whatever you want to do, just do it. Even if you only get to relax for 10 minutes a day, it can help you out immensely.
- Sleep on your side. It is best to sleep on your side when you sleep, so that the fluid doesn’t build up. It doesn’t matter what side you’re sleeping on, just make sure that you are comfortable. You can always put a pillow or blanket behind you if you have a problem laying a certain way.
- Wear loose clothing. You should wear loose clothing while you’re trying to get rid of your swelling, and this includes shoes that aren’t too tight. You will have to wait a while before you can wear your old stuff again, but it will happen, as long as you are following these tips and making sure that you get enough sleep.
- Keep cool. When you aren’t exercising, you should try to stay cool the rest of the time. It won’t do you any good to stay hot, since that may make you irritable or upset you further. The idea is that you are healing your body, so you don’t want to cause yourself any new problems. You don’t need to get overheated, which can make you start feeling bad.