If you keep up with fashion, entertainment, or even the general news, you’ve likely heard of waist training. It is something that many famous people are doing now, and there are also women all over the world that are trying it too. It isn’t hard to do and some people think that it works so well, they never want to stop doing it. Keep reading for everything you need to know about waist training, so you can see if it’s right for you.
What is waist training?
For thousands of years, there have been products that are designed to make a women look and feel more feminine. This practice involves different products that are intended to do just that. It involves what is a bit like a girdle, and attempts to assist in achieving the look of an hourglass figure. There are a variety of different types of them, and each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Some are designed to look good, while others are strictly for being concealed under clothing. Most have great patterns or are solid bright colors, so you will always find products that will meet your tastes, as well as your needs. Conversely, there are so many more reasons to look into this practice besides the fact that they just look good and give you a leaner shape. Here are some of the top reasons to try it.
- It can ease pain. You can really alleviate different types of pain, such as in all parts of the back and the pelvis. This is especially helpful if you have constant back problems, or have issues from surgeries you have had in the past. Even though they don’t reach your legs, it can ease leg pain in some instances too, as well as other types of muscle pain.
- Will help burn calories. When you have something that is warming you through the middle, you will be burning more calories and raising your body temperature. This is a good thing because you’ll also be losing weight just by wearing it. It will add a bit more effectiveness when you’re working out and when you’re trying to eat.
- Corrects posture. Standing and sitting up straight when you’re wearing this will be very important because you won’t be able to breathe properly at first if you don’t. Then after a while, it will teach you how to sit up properly, even when you aren’t wearing it, which could make you look slimmer and help you be able to have less stress on certain parts of your body.
- Helps heal. There are a lot of moms that wear trainers after they have a baby because it helps them heal in the area where they had a c-section. It can also help their abdomens get back to normal size quicker, and hold everything together securely, so they feel like everything is going to be okay. You can wear it after any operation, however, because it is likely to speed up healing time, since it helps reduce swelling and bleeding.
- Emboldens wearer. This isn’t a physical thing you will see, but when you wear something that makes you feel good about yourself, it may become invaluable to you. While many women rely on different types of support body wear and underwear, others swear by bands to keep them feeling their best and looking great in their clothes. You may want to wear one with your favorite dress or top, to make sure that you have a silhouette that you really like.
Do Waist Trainers Work?
The efficacy of waist trainers has not been proven by any major medical association, but if you ask women that use these items, they will say they definitely work. Since they are able to help you heal, as well as potentially help you lose weight, there’s no reason to think that you won’t see results. There are well documented articles that show you what is happening in your body when you wear these products, which you can look at and determine if it is safe for you to try.
At the same time, it is best not to think of this type of garment as a weight loss tool. Instead, you can think of it as a piece of equipment you need to get farther in your goal, in the same way you’d look at a pair of dumbbells for working out, or bandages for healing an incision site. This way you can remember that you don’t have to train your waist forever to have the body or become the person you want to be.
Another way to use them is only for special events. You can bust out a fancy corset when you are going to a party or a date to dress up an outfit and make you feel more confident. You will want to be seasoned at using one before you try this method though.
Is Waist Training Safe?
Even though you may have heard horror stories, there’s no reason to think that this technique will hurt you or cause you any negative health effects. The truth is, when you are fitted properly with an item, there shouldn’t even be any pain, much less any other issues to cause you to have new ailments, bruising, or anything else.
You need to do a few simple measurements through your core to determine what size is right for you. This includes measuring the width right underneath your chest, your natural waist, and the top of your hips. You will also need to know the length of your torso. When you have these numbers, it will be easy to pick a size that will be comfortable. If you don’t know what to choose, ask around or look at shopping sites that have reviews, so you can see what products work well and for what specific purposes. This will help you decide what product to buy based on what you intend to use it for. The general rule is that too big is better than too small, since you can always work your way down in size.
Waist Cincher vs. Steel Boned Corset
There are a lot of different types of products you can use for waist training, and they are all a bit different. When it comes to a waist cincher, this is the type of item that is getting to be very popular, since it is inexpensive and easy to use. You can put it on yourself, it moves with you, and it can give any size woman more curves to enjoy.
On the other hand, a steel boned corset is likely what you’re used to seeing when you think of something that will transform your abdominal area. It is called steel boned because it has an internal structure that is made of steel, which allow it to hold its shape well over time. You won’t have to buy more than one of these because they last forever. They are constructed of natural materials like cotton, so they can breathe with you, although you may have to enlist help to put it on, since it laces up in the back. You can have it as loose as you want or as tight as you want, so it fits correctly each day.
Both types can be worn for many hours a day and can be placed underneath your clothes or on top of them, although the corset is usually seen worn on the outside of clothes, since they often have striking designs.
Underbust Corset vs. Overbust Corset
There are also different types of corsets to choose from. In the case of underbust, it is exactly what it sounds like, and sits underneath your bust. This is more like the design of cincher products and will provide all the wonderful support you need. This design is also more comfortable to go about your day in.
The overbust corset is the type that holds your bust up as well, meaning you won’t have to protect or lift your breasts with anything else. It has the same middle as the other type but comes up higher, to give a dramatic look. This makes it perfect for going out on the town, but not really for doing normal things like picking your kids up from school.
Both kinds work well for training, and are heavy-duty, but they are used in slightly different ways. You may want to try both on, to see which one you feel more comfortable in before you make any decisions.
There are a few more things you should know before you start on your journey to a shapelier you.
1. There are no wrong answers. Although this type of practice has been around for a long time, there isn’t really a right or wrong way to accomplish it. If you feel like you want to use your products in a certain way, do it, and as long as they aren’t causing you body any pain or problems.
2. Tons of designs to choose from. There are so many different designs to choose form in this category. You can find leather, silk, cotton, and other types of corsets, and wear them with outfits, or hide them under your clothes. Some are really designed to be seen, so don’t hesitate to do so sometimes, if you want to. You can also opt to hide them, so no one will know when you’re wearing one.
3. No rules about purchasing different types. There are so many different kinds of trainers, but you don’t have to choose just one type. You can get as many different items as you want and wear them when the mood strikes you. You will want to go through different trainers, the longer you try to tame yourself, so do your research and make some smart purchases.
4. Keep it clean. Each model has a specific way that it needs to be cleaned, so be sure to read the label and keep it that way. Some are designed to repel germs and bacteria, but others are made of synthetic materials that needed to be cleansed regularly. You don’t want to have to throw something away just because you didn’t take the time to read.
5. Can wear it day or night. When you’re using these garments for healing or lessening pain, it is okay to wear them for many hours a day. You can even wear them only when you’re sleeping if you want, as long as you are sure to stay cool.
6. Results depend on you. If you don’t wear it for long periods of time or you aren’t wearing it properly, you cannot expect it to change the shape of your hips. Be sure to give it a reasonable amount of time and use before you complain that the practice doesn’t work. If you simply don’t like it, that’s a different story, and you can always move on to something else.
7. When in doubt, take it off. If you ever have any pain or feel lightheaded when you’re wearing it, take it off as soon as possible. You should be able to breathe when you have the right size, so always remove it if it feels wrong. If you are worried about long-lasting effects, don’t hesitate to talk to your doctor to learn more about the science behind this method.
Even though it seems like a complicated process, waist training is something that everyone can do. The trick is to find a size that fits properly and won’t constrict you too much, and use it for an adequate amount of time each day. There are different types, which can all help with healing, pain, and your posture. They are also able to help you lose weight, which is a great part of the appeal. Of course, the best part is that they can allow you to break certain habits, so you can continue doing healthy things, even when you aren’t wearing a trainer.